Located in Beaufort in eastern Luxembourg, Beaufort Castle (locally also known as Burg Befort) was erected as one of the first European medieval castles.
The castle dates from the 11th century and stands as the ruins of a medieval fortress which were originally protected by a large moat.
In 1192, Walter von Wiltz was mentioned as the first Lord of Befort. During the first half of the 12th century, a keep was added and the gate was moved and enlarged. In 1348, the castle came into the hands of The Lords of Orley, who made significant extensions and enlarged the castle considerably.
In 1477, Maximilian of Austria transferred the castle to Johann Bayer von Boppard after Johann von Orley-Beaufort committed a breach in trust.
In 1539, Bernard von Velbrück became Lord of Beaufort through marriage and added the large Renaissance wing with cross-framed windows on top of the medieval walls.
After Bernard von Velbrück, there were a lot of different owners of the medieval castle in Beaufort like Gaspard de Heu, Philip II of Spain, Peter Ernst Graf von Mansfeld, Henri de Chalon, Gaspard du Bost-Moulin, who had to sell it after being ruined by the Thirty Years War.
Acting on behalf of the Spanish king, Johann Baron von Beck, governor of Luxembourg, bought most of the property in 1639.
He initiated the construction of the Renaissance castle in 1643 but after he died of injuries from the Battle of Lens in 1648, the work was completed by his son in 1649.
After various changes in ownership including Pierre de Coumont (1774) and Jean Théodore Baron de Tornaco-Vervoy (1781), the castle was abandoned, fell into disrepair.
From the second part of the 18th century, the medieval castle is inhabited and used by the habitants of Beaufort as a quarry.
In 1850 the Luxembourg government declared the castle a cultural heritage. The castle has suffered a startling degradation, however, there is a certain ethereal beauty to the site, and it is recognized as a National Monument of Luxembourg. From 1932, the castle was open to the public.